Tuesday, December 7, 2010

365 Days, Day 183



Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children (George Bernard Shaw)

What the daughter does, the mother did (Jewish Proverb)

And thou shalt in thy daughter see,This picture, once, resembled thee (Ambrose Philips)

Ahh, my little Ariél. A beautiful young woman, with the future stretching out in front of her. She will achieve great things. At the moment she is in a ‘resting’ phase of her life, regaining strength and vigour for the journey ahead.

When she was little, she loved being a princess. Dressing-up was a favourite activity. I think back on Birthdays she had: Barbie birthday, Little Mermaid birthday, princess birthday, tea-party birthday. For all of these she had to have a special outfit made. Luckily she has a Nan, aunts (Ada and Hanlie) and a mum who can sew! Before we left South Africa last year, I sorted through her dressing up box and gave some of the clothes to little Kayla (my niece), who also loves dressing up. I can’t remember what happened to the rest. There was even a jasmine costume that I had made with little beaded top and harem trousers and little matching ballet pumps covered in the same satin fabric and beaded! She wore this for the Character Parade I did with my nursery school class the year I taught Ariél.

I love dressing up. I imagine finding an old attic full of trunks of old evening dresses and wedding dresses… Or rummaging through the costume wardrobe of a theatre! When we visited the costume exhibition at the V&A, I was in heaven: so creative and so magical.

The pink wig is Ariél’s by the way. I had nothing to do with it being purchased: she bought it when she was in Cornwall!

No comments:

Post a Comment