Monday, December 20, 2010

365 Days, Day196


We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts, we make our world.
(Buddha)

Whether one believes in a religion or not,
and whether one believes in rebirth or not,
there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.
(Dalai Lama)

Practice for the New Millennium by the Dalai Lama

The Practice:

1. Spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each day remembering

we all want the same things (to be happy and be loved)

and we are all connected to one another.

2. Spend 5 minutes breathing in, cherishing yourself; and, breathing out

cherishing others. If you think about people you have difficulty cherishing,

extend your cherishing to them anyway.

3. During the day extend that attitude to everyone you meet.

Practice cherishing the "simplest" person (clerks, attendants, etc)

or people you dislike.

4. Continue this practice no matter what happens or what anyone does to you.

These thoughts are very simple, inspiring and helpful.

The practice of cherishing can be taken very deeply if done wordlessly,

allowing yourself to feel the love and appreciation that

already exists in your heart.

What we think affects our world. Our belief system, our thoughts, our state of mind, our experiences, our background, our context all play a role in forming our thought patterns. But if we consciously make an effort to be positive and practice kindness (deeds and words) and compassion (emotions and words), we can make a positive difference in our little worlds.

When I go and ‘teach’ I have to create a positive little bubble around me. From within this bubble of positive energy, I can interact with kindness and compassion. I am polite and friendly and positive. I treat each student with respect and compassion, even in the face of being laughed at or treated rudely; I can walk away and know I have planted a tiny seed of difference and positive energy in the person who ‘rebuffed’ me. I had a little laugh to myself recently at school. The class was impossible: two boys, because I said they could not listen to their music on their ipods, decided they would do heavy metal roaring instead. Which they did loudly and badly. I suggested that they get on with their work: they would need maths, as their roaring skills were not very good. They decided they would then ‘die’. So they fell onto the floor and just lay there. Most of the class also decided that they would ‘die’ and fell onto the floor. I just said, “Come on little chickens time to wake up now.” They started going: Chickens! What are you calling us! Then another one of students decided that he, being really tall would have a laugh at the teacher. So he stretched up to the very top of the board and wrote: The teacher can’t reach this!

I thought this was rather funny. I smiled at him (kindness and compassion), pulled a chair over to the board, stood on it and rubbed out his words.

I like to think that at the end of the day, the people I have smiled at, had a friendly word with or just sent positive thoughts to, take away with them a smidgeon of my cherishing.

Love and light to you.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment