Monday, July 12, 2010

365 Days, Day 35

It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time. (Tallulah Bankhead)

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. (Oscar Wilde)

For Louis’ extra lesson today, I used The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole for a comprehension exercise. Louis had never read or even heard of Adrian Mole! He didn’t seem too impressed. I love all of Sue Townsend’s books, especially the Adrian Mole diaries. Part of the lesson was that he needed to start his own diary entries. Even less enthusiasm.

Diaries: they always seem like a good idea. A “Secret” place to write down your thoughts, or just a record of what took place each day, or a journal of thoughts and drawings of your emotions.

It sounds brilliant. I procure a really pretty booklet, like the one in the photo. I have a few of them, on my bookshelves. I really want to make a meaningful journal with words and art reflecting my days. I even have a few art books on journaling and altered books, as inspiration. I enjoy making journals of holidays we’ve had, with photos and mementoes. They are lovely to look at – even if I say so myself. I am happy for everyone to look at them.

But when it comes to putting my own feelings down on paper, peeling away layers of Self, I am less eager to do this… Freud would probably have had some interesting thoughts on this [avoidance?] behaviour!

So what do YOU think?

[Reply below]




5 comments:

  1. I think we are all afraid to peel back layers because we will have to face the good things about us that we dont have the courage to admit to and the bad things about us that we dont have the courage to change !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you are right, Gill. We peel back different layers for different people. Do we ever peel back all the layers, even for ourselves??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, well I think this blog is just another way of journal keeping - but what you say is out there for everyone to see - which makes it entertaining and safe - a beginning

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course the ego - Self - is always so powerful, wants to be the big cheese all the time. Many believe that the path to enlightenment and the purpose of journey on earth is to return to self, with a small "s"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I just wrote a huge long comment and lost, so now short and sweet book suggestion A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle if you haven't yet discovered it

    ReplyDelete