Sunday, July 25, 2010

365 Days, Day 48


It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit. (Robert Louis Stevenson)


Tilgate forest is a walk over the railway bridge just up from our house in Maidenbower. We have ventured out into the forest with tiny Lily; she seems so tiny compared to the other dogs out walking with their owners. She has been introduced to rabbits, some deer, magpies, and a myriad of exciting smells.


A walk in the forest is good for the soul. The trees have an ancient, majestic presence that is calming and soothing. I have on a quite a few occasions ventured out in sun and snow, when I have felt sad, jangled, happy, lonely, blocked or just wanted some fresh air. I was delighted to be able to share ‘my’ forest with my mum and dad when they were over her in May. Dad had to take it really slowly because of the pain, and Mum and I were quite concerned about him, but with his stoic determination he walked all the way to the walled garden and back. I hope the forest fed his soul, as it does mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment