Friday, June 17, 2011

365 Days, Day 365


To write a good love letter, you ought to begin without knowing what you mean to say, and to finish without knowing what you have written (Jacques Rousseau)

Every love letter, every hug, every tender kiss, every flower picked, every consoling talk is my heart acting out all the love and kindness that overfills me. I have other outlets -- gardening, motorcycle riding, cooking, sewing, poetry/spoken word, playing bass, exchanging letters and so on -- but my deeper connections with special people give me such an untouchable high and satisfaction. This is why I practice open relationships. It is not sexual validation that I'm searching for, but the mere act of giving, sharing, growing, inspiring, and loving creatively. I almost feel as if I could not go on with life without these connections (Wendy-O Matik)

Over the years, I have given my English students the following task:

Write a Love Letter to yourself.

To give them credit, no student ever complained and said they couldn’t do it. Some wrote better, more insightful letters than others. It is a really difficult task though.

I decided to end off this blog with the same task:

Write a Love Letter to yourself.

My Dearest Deidré

I am writing this to express my gratitude for your acceptance; for your resolute belief in me even when I am been filled with doubts and sadness. There is a part of you that is a part of me that carries us through the difficult storms.

I respect your strength of character, sensing when someone needs comfort or nurturing and stepping in, with your sense of inner calm.

I love your childlike humour and the great delight you take in small things, which others may overlook. Your humour may not be to everyone’s taste, it is somewhat quirky – but it makes me smile.

I admire your acceptance of new circumstances; even though to you ‘Acceptance’ means Sacrifice. You have handled the last two years rather well. You do have great tenacity. I urge you to be aware of the Lessons to be learned…

For an older woman, you are rather gorgeous! I know you have to ‘work’ at looking good, in your own ‘stylish’ way. Keep on, girl: you are never too old to preen! Carry on slapping on the old mascara and lippy. Keep on wearing the heels: I love that about you! Do not relinquish your eccentricity: go way over-the-top! Make heads turn. What hair colour is next, my sweetheart?

With love, I tell you that you have been brave in all your little endeavours. I know you get hurt and are disappointed when people or things don’t turn out the way you expect. Part of that is that you are an optimist and believe the best of everyone. Part of it is because you are a gentle soul, perhaps too gentle for this world. It is precisely your gentleness that draws others to you: do not allow yourself to become inured to the harshness of life. Keep your sincerity and naivety. I love that quality in you.

I also love that you are willing to ‘receive’. You have a wonderful daughter, who looks out for you when you are falling; you accept her assistance with love and with the knowledge that her intentions are pure. Never be too proud to say that you are not coping. Your loved ones will be there to step in and carry you.

Thank you for all the times you have made me laugh out loud, or have been absolutely passionate about an experience, a moment. Thank you for sharing with me the intense sense of enchantment you get from seeing, hearing, experiencing creativity in all its forms. Your heartfelt immersion in the moment is addictive. I want to see more of that level of interaction with you.

I truly want to encourage you to spread your creative wings and take flight. We also both know that you are being called to the softer nurturing world out there: go and do your massage course – make it happen. Express your creativity through Art!

And I leave you now with the express wish that you will Dance more often.

Look after yourself, meditate and continue to be the gentle you I love.

Much love,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment