Sunday, August 1, 2010

365 Days, Day 55

“The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings - and why the sea is boiling hot -and whether pigs have wings." (Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass)


The Mad Hatter: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? (Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland)


I had no idea where today’s blog was going. Then my subconscious rootled about and stumbled on these two apt quotes from Lewis Caroll’s works.


The time has come for us to plan and make lists, in preparation for my visit to South Africa in September. It is going to be a difficult path; I will have to be rational and unemotional, as I select [with reference to our list we made today of amaretto latte (for me) and a pot of tea (for Tom) at Tulley's farm] and pack or send out into the world the ‘things’ from our house in Estelle Street. I have a wardrobe full of “dressing up” clothes from the dances I been to and the plays I’ve performed in… I will have to say goodbye to many of them. Some sentimental objects will be shipped over to us: like the rocking horse Dad made for Kyle and Roarke; and the wardrobe and dressing table Oupa made for Ariél from the wooden floorboards of the farmhouse of his youth.


Nothing is going to be what it is, because everything is going to be what it isn’t… you see?


So come on, take my hand…



No comments:

Post a Comment