Monday, August 2, 2010

365 Days, Day 56


Labyrinths have been around for over 4000 years and are found in just about every major religious tradition in the world. They have been an integral part of many cultures such as Native American, Greek, Celtic and Mayan. The Hopi called the labyrinth the symbol for "mother earth" and equated it with the Kiva. Like Stonehenge and the pyramids, they are magical geometric forms that define sacred space.

When you walk a labyrinth, you meander back and forth, turning 180 degrees each time you enter a different circuit. As you shift your direction you also shift your awareness from right brain to left brain. This is one of the reasons the labyrinth can induce receptive states of consciousness. It can also help to balance the chakras.

Each person's walk is a personal experience. How one walks and what one receives differs with each walk. Some people use the walk for clearing the mind and centring. Others enter with a question or concern. The time in the centre can be used for receiving, reflecting, meditating, or praying, as well as discovering our own sacred inner space. What each person receives can be integrated on the walk out. Your walk can be a healing and sometimes very profound experience or it can be just a pleasant walk. Each time is different. (http://www.angelfire.com/tn/SacredLabyrinth/)

Circles within circles. Round and round in my head. That was my quest today. The photos I took for this theme did not come out to my liking. So went to plan X


A few years ago Tom and I spent a few days at Celtis Lodge in Magaliesburg. The highlight of that weekend was our walk in the rose quartz labyrinth. It was a quiet reflective walk, probably with only an essence of awareness. A seed was planted.


I did some research on labyrinths and it was my intention to form a labyrinth of some sort for an art project. I have not yet created this art work…In my dreams, one day when I have a little cottage in the countryside; I will set aside a piece of garden to make a fragrant herb labyrinth. There will be some carefully placed rose quartz. In the centre will be a water feature with tinkling water, and a seat of sorts upon which to rest or to reflect. Wind chimes will be hung nearby to incorporate the sense of sound. Softness will be underfoot.


Take my hand, I will lead you to my labyrinth.

2 comments: