Tuesday, November 2, 2010

365 Days, Day 148

Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes (Tori Amos)

Life's a box of chocolates...Eat 'em all! (Author unknown)

A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid (J. R. R. Tolkien)

In boxes made of ticky tacky

And they all look just the same.

There's a green one and a pink one

And a blue one and a yellow one,

And they're all made out of ticky tacky

And they all look just the same.

(Malvina Reynolds)

Boxes intrigue me. Things with lids beckon me to look closer. I had a whole collection of tins in South Africa, most of which I got rid of… although I did manage to sneak a few into the container (sorry Tom! hehe). I started an art work a few years ago which involved tiny tins. I did not pursue it as it was a uni project and was encouraged to evolve my creativity. Once I come across my tins in one of the boxes now in storage, I would like to revisit this theme and make little miniature art works in rusty tins.

I like the idea of a Pandora’s box – but I don’t like that it contained all the evils of the world. My Pandora’s boxes will have unexpected(?) surprises in them…

Haven’t got that far yet.

Getting a present in a box is so exciting, and then when you lift the lid and there nestling in tissue paper and strewn rose petals, tied with a pretty ribbon, is …..

The idea of being labelled and so called ‘put in a box’ is not appealing to me, unless the box is wildly and weirdly quirky and decorated in the manner of OTT… I might consider lounging amongst comfortable satin cushions in this box… on a chaise lounge please, whilst sipping a latte. From the sublime to the ridiculous; yes, I guess that is me.

^Oh and I love boxes of chocolates, preferably “elephant” choccies!

No comments:

Post a Comment