Thursday, November 18, 2010

365 Days, Day 164

No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow (C S Lewis. Mad Hatter: Alice in Wonderland)

Curiouser and curiouser! (C S Lewis. Alice: Alice in Wonderland)

Today was time for going to the hairdresser. Ariél and I had colour and cut at a little out-of-the-way salon in Brighton. [The appointment was for yesterday, but I had to go and teach, so appointment had to be postponed].

A very effeminate young man had his long locks cut off while we were there. The poor man was crying because he hadn’t really wanted to cut his hair, but as he was going for an interview (cabin crew) he had to conform. I remember when I cut my beautiful hair short. I was ready to do it – I did not cry. But I mourned the loss of my hair for ages afterwards. When Ariél was about four she insisted that she wanted her long hair cut, much against Tom’s wishes we went and had it cut. Tom nearly had a heart attack when he came home and saw her with short hair. I was in the dog box for a few days! The young man at the salon today did actually look better with short hair.

The wind was howling outside in the street, passersby seemed to be whipped past the window with bags being pulled and riffled about. Those with brollies were hurtled by as their umbrellas took on a life of their own in the buffeting winds.

When we came to pay a few hours later, our stylists and colourist (!) had to confer in lowered voices about our bills. It was curiouser and curiouser!

We joined the wet, windblown pedestrians and made our way to the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment