Thursday, November 4, 2010

365 Days, Day 149

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars (Oscar Wilde)

Two men look out the same prison bars; one sees mud and the other stars (Frederick Langbridge)

Don't Keep Reaching for the Stars because you'll just look like an idiot stretching that way for no reason (Jimmy Fallon)

Tom and I watched a documentary called “How to get a Head”. It was an art programme about sculpting the head. Really fascinating. Artist Maggi Hambling has created an abstract head of Oscar Wilde near Charing Cross Station in London. I did not really like the work much, but she had added the quote above about “some of looking at the stars”. I really like that metaphor. Keep your head up and keep on going even when you feel like giving up. Never give up!

Stars in Hollywood are as unattainable to us mere mortals as the burning orbs millions of light years away. Yet we have this fascination for “stars”. Bitter experience has taught me that the Stars (some of them) really do think they are superior to rest of us. I have been ‘put in my place’ by two Stars on two different movie sets. By the third movie set I had learned. Come to think of it when I was an extra on a television set, one of the local Stars recognised me (because I had been his son’s personal tutor on Prey) and he came over to talk to me – but was quickly drawn back to the realm of Stardom by a fellow Star who pulled him away. What was he thinking? Fraternising with the common rabble!

Starry-eyed = (adj.) Having a naively enthusiastic, over-optimistic, or romantic view; unrealistic. Oh dear, this sounds somewhat like me… At times.

At other times, I can be down in my own personal gutter or prison and see the mud, for a while. Then I put on my movie star dress and red stockings and high-heels, and my head tips upwards and I see the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment