Friday, November 19, 2010

365 Days, Day 165

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? (Author unknown)

If God wanted us to be naked, why did he invent sexy lingerie? (Shannen Doherty)

When in doubt, wear red (Bill Blass)

Lingerie, my favourite!

When I was at Findhorn, and the object of P’s fancy, I think I shocked her by telling her that she had a wonderful cleavage and should invest in a good bra. No more sad, grey knickers and bras: she had to go and buy something pretty and feminine that would make the best of her bosom! She had not really given her body much thought or care in recent months (even years, she said). Hopefully she took my advice and went out and bought some sexy lingerie – just for herself!

Even if no-one else sees your lingerie – just wearing it makes you feel good, which makes you look good! That’s my theory.

Beauty with Cruelty was a theme of my Barbie-binding project. I researched the history of the corset and bras.

The woman of the 1840s in her corset… “the less natural her appearance, the more seductive she became. Her body hidden under a great quantity of fabric trimmed with ribbons and frills. Laced, fastened, and buttoned into the complexities of her dress, she simultaneously offered and withheld herself. And behind the mask of the woman’s parade outfit was her body, as soft and white as could be desired” (Fontanel, B. A history of corsets and bras p58).

Unfortunately for these women beauty came with a price – very often the corsets caused physical damage and deformity: Beauty with Cruelty.

Today’s corsets can be quite uncomfortable if they are well-boned. They give one a fantastic shape though. I can understand why the women (and men) of the past were enticed by the hourglass figure!

I have decided that the Genie in the pantomime will wear red (see quote above). And instead of going the Arabian genie route, this Genie might well wear a corset! Not sure how this will go down with the wardrobe mistress who had ideas of me wearing a bra top and see-through harem trousers (what!!??). This Genie will be drop-dead Red!

Right so now I have to set about making a red pair of trousers? or skirt? Hmmm sewing machine and scissors out – I have work to do!

1 comment:

  1. you go girl - i have lots of lovely undies, some for show some just for me - its a total pick up on a down day !! Take pics of yourself with the timer on a camera and look at how glam you can be - does wonders for the confidence. xx

    ReplyDelete