Monday, March 7, 2011

365 Days, Day 272

"I have wrapped my laughter like a

birthday gift

And left it beside your bed..."

(Hafiz)

Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit, and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these (Susan B. Anthony 1820 - 1906)

For the first time in two years I have (almost all of) my little family around me for my Birthday.

Our first Pub Quiz Evening: we were team Koeksusters (the poor PubQuizMaster had a battle trying to pronounce our team name). We came second last! But we had laughed a lot and had a good time. We have realised that some teams really take this seriously and come well-prepared!

But un-Birthday moments are what memories are made of. Enjoying the delicious moments make for good memories to be unfolded later and revisited.

I received the most amazing messages from friends (many of them past pupils) on Face Book. I was really quite humbled that I have touched so many people’s lives… It brought home how important our words and deeds to each other are.

Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment