Thursday, March 17, 2011

365 Days, Day 282

In our consciousness there are many negative seeds and also many positive seeds. The practice is to avoid watering the negative seeds, and to identify and water the positive seeds everyday (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless – like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend (Bruce Lee)

The symbolism of water has an undertone of purity and fertility. In Taoist tradition, water represents wisdom. Water will always take the path of least resistance until it can flow smoothly. In our spiritual journey we should aspire to this.

I love being in (warm) water, I love the soothing effects of the water as it envelops me. I always think, when I read Alexander McCall Smith’s books about Bertie’s mother who regularly goes for her flotation-tank-sessions, how wonderful it must be to float in water for a long period of time.

I found some symbolic meanings of water:

  • Transformation
  • Subconscious
  • Fertilisation
  • Purification
  • Reflection
  • Intuition
  • Renewal
  • Motion
  • Life

The sound of running water is calming and peaceful. We used to have a fountain outside our bedroom at 15 Estelle Street; I rather miss that. In fact we don’t have a water feature or pool of water anywhere at 4 Bennett Close. In our own house a plan will have to be made. Or we could right next to the sea?

I am going to have a warm bath now and become the water… albeit rather purple water as I plan to wash my hair in the bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment