Wednesday, March 23, 2011

365 Days, Day 285

Meditation means awareness. Whatsoever you do with awareness is mediation. Action is not the question, but the quality that you bring to your action. Walking can be a meditation if you walk alertly. Sitting can be a meditation is you sit alertly. Listening to the birds can be a meditation if you listen with awareness. Just listening to the inner noise of your mind can be a meditation if you remain alert and watchful (Osho)

Stress is basically a disconnection from the earth, a forgetting of the breath. Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency. Nothing is that important. Just lie down (Natalie Goldberg)

We had a walking meditation down to the river. I had only sequined pumps to wear. Carl very kindly lent me his walking shoes. I thought they were a spare pair, but he followed silently barefooted. I have a mile walked in another person’s shoes, but know very little about him. Along the way I found a broken fairy wing which I stopped to pick up and cradled in my hand all the way back. A few people gestured to see what I was carrying and looked a little nonplussed when I opened my hand to show them a broken damaged wing.

The walk in silence encourages one to drink in the surroundings, more so than if one was chatting. One hears and sees more. We sat down next to the river, still in silence and just listened and looked, with breath, intention and connection. Meditatively.

From our last evening’s activity to next day at 9, we had to be in Noble Silence, even in our lodge where we stayed – silence was requested at all times. And the removal of our shoes! So I placed Carl’s wonderfully soft walking shoes back in the foyer with a little note of thanks, which hopefully he find on the next leg of his yearlong journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment