Friday, April 29, 2011

365 Days, Day 323

A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love (Pearl S. Buck)

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together, yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

(Kahlil Gibran)

We watched the Royal wedding on TV today. It was delightful, Kate’s dress, 1950s retro style, reminded me of my mom’s dress. We had a good laugh at some of the hats. We decided we really like hats for a wedding and were somewhat inspired to find hats for Roarke and Gina’s wedding! We decided that no-one carries off the pomp and ceremony as well as the British. They do it superbly.

Of course other people’s weddings always make one look at one’s own marriage. What Tom and I have got right, I think, is a balance: we have allowed for change and growth in each other and we don’t stand “too close” – we each have own breathing space, we do not stand in each other’s shadow. There are, obviously, the moments when we disagree or hurt each other (inadvertently) or seem to be like ships in the night. But over the years we have stood together like pillars of a temple and weathered the storms of Life. Even though I may not always be the Perfect Wife, I think I make life pretty interesting, mostly…

Much love to my fellow pillar, my partner, lover and friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment