Wednesday, September 15, 2010

365 Days, Day 100


The mintage of wisdom is to know that rest is rust, and that real life is in love, laughter, and work (Elbert Hubbard)

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it were not for women, our peckers would rust (Author unknown)

I like the idea of rust: it represents a journey assisted by oxygen and water of metal changing its patina. Many of my art works have utilised rust. I have either waited for the change to place over time. Or I have assisted the rusting process.

I started a project with little rusted tins, but I was led on another journey and did not pursue the little rusty icons. I am packing my remaining tins into boxes for future artworks.

Rust is often seen as a negative quality but I see the beauty in it. The richness of the colour, the texture that forms, the fragility that develops and finally the disintegration of the metal represent a beautiful passage. Somewhat like ourselves who start off pretty, soft and shiny. Over time we are subjected to the weathers of life and physically as well as metaphorically we start take on a new patina, a textured rust.

Celebrate each stage of your rusty journey. Rust has inherent beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment