Sunday, September 26, 2010

365 Days, Day 110

The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there (George Bernard Shaw, The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God, 1932)

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses (Hanna Rion)

In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful (Abram L. Urban)

Gardens are a form of autobiography (Sydney Eddison, Horticulture magazine, August/September 1993)

This is a little secret part of the garden in Estelle Street; it is outside the studio behind the trees. It looks down on to the gazebo. I am savouring each little part of the garden as I say goodbye to it. I love all the nooks and crannies of this garden. I am harnessing all the memories of this beautiful garden and keeping them in my memory [box].

I remember the first plant I planted was a bougainvillea. I had to use a hammer and chisel to chop away the rock in order to dig a hole for it. That was 27 years ago.

Yesterday when we were sitting outside in the garden, I noticed the “Charlie tree” – it has grown huge. Charlie was the first of our dogs to pass away and we planted a tree in memory of him. We were going to have plaques made with the names of our departed animals… but we never got to do that. They also live in our memories.

Farewell my beautiful garden, I hope my tears will give you a tiny moment of nourishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment