Monday, September 20, 2010

365 Days, Day 104

Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling? (M.C. Escher)

There is an objective reality out there, but we view it through the spectacles of our beliefs, attitudes, and values (David G. Myers, Social Psychology)

There are no facts, only interpretations (Friedrich Nietzsche)

This photograph was part of a solar system mobile that AriƩl made for Geography in primary school. It represented Earth with rocks and water. It was a creative take on the project. She did not get very good marks for it: her teacher did not appreciate her interpretative approach. But the mobile has hung in the garden for all these years and has become one with nature.

I have always tried to encourage my children to see the world with an open mind. We do all see the world through our context and history. And we interpret things accordingly. I have encouraged them to ask questions and not always accept everything they hear. Sometimes this has required patience and a sense of humour in thinking about the answers to the question. (On learning about how babies were made and about how God is Jesus’ father and Mary is His mother. One of the twins asked the question: how did the sperm get from God into Mary?)

I have many interesting questions from pupils over the years too. Many have caused mirth. I think I have coped by having a sense of humour. Although being ‘called in’ and investigated because I was seen as a “witch” by some of the students at the school where I do supply teaching, was not humorous. It was most distressing.

Interpretations.

I endeavour to be ever more open and tolerant…

No comments:

Post a Comment