Sunday, September 19, 2010

365 Days, Day 103

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed (Buddha)

They dined on mince, and slices of quince, Which they ate with a runcible spoon; And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, They danced by the light of the moon (Edward Lear The Owl and the Pussycat)

Do not put your spoon into the pot which does not boil for you (Romanian Proverb)

I remember on a journey to Durban when I was young, feeling faint. We had stopped for petrol and something to eat. I had a bowl of ice-cream. I was kneeling on the seat holding my spoon about to dig into my ice-cream when I saw stars in front of my face and then… fainted. Into the bowl of ice-cream. I don’t remember what happened to the spoon. Did it fall? Did I keep it clasped in my hand?

I have special spoons that I like to eat with or little ones that I use to stir my coffee. Mom sent me a teaspoon last year for my Birthday, which I always liked at her home. It is a little silver spoon with a black bead at the end of the handle. I like it a lot.

I endeavour to be like a lake rather than a glass of water, and not put my spoon into other people’s pots. I definitely want to eat my food with a runcible spoon.

A runcible spoon is a fictional spoon. The word “runcible” is a nonsense term first used by the poet Edward Lear in the 19th century. Lear used the term runcible spoon first in his poem “The Owl and The Pussycat,” where the two besotted animals dine on mince and slices of quince, eating them with a “runcible spoon.”

To help decide what a runcible spoon truly is, Lear offers an illustration of The Dolumphious Duck, who catches frogs with a runcible spoon. Although the runcible spoon is often defined as a spork in modern language, Lear’s illustration offers us a different look at what a runcible spoon might be. It appears to be a long-handled spoon with a large curved bowl, somewhat resembling a punch bowl spoon or a ladle. Unlike the spork, Lear’s drawing of the runcible spoon does not include tines. (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-runcible-spoon.htm)

The spoons and tip of the fork in the photo: whilst going through mom’s kist recently, I found this little blue case. On opening it found it contains cake forks, teaspoons and a sugar spoon. Mom said I could have it. So it is coming back to England with me. Thank you, Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment