Friday, September 3, 2010

365 Days, Day 88

Art is the concrete representation of our most subtle feelings (Agnes Martin)


For though we often need to be restored to the small, concrete, limited, and certain, we as often need to be reminded of the large, vague, unlimited, unknown (A. R. Ammons)


Sometimes words cannot express what we are feeling. And that is fine. I need to accept that sometimes I do not always need to explain myself. I do not need to please everyone else. I do not need to understand everything or everybody. Sometimes I need to step back and accept the bigger picture: the large, the vague, the unlimited, the unknown. Last night, I had no words or feelings. I was tired and empty. And that is also fine sometimes.


Last night I watched and listened as Tom spoke very wise words to my dad. There was such love and warmth and wisdom in his voice. It was so right for the moment. His words and tone seemed to calm my dad.


If I were to make an art work to represent my feelings now, it would have a doorway, opening onto shelves and alcoves. There would shadow and light and sound and textures…



No comments:

Post a Comment