Tuesday, September 21, 2010

365 Days, Day 106

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine? (Isak Dinesen)

We are becoming the servants in thought, as in action, of the machine we have created to serve us (John Kenneth Galbraith)

How would we cope without all the machines with which we surround ourselves? On my computer a huge part of my life is stored. If it blows up (or whatever computers do) I would be quite devastated.

I love my camera, even though I am not technically clued up on how to use it. I am an intuitive photographer rather than a technical one. One should have a combination of intuition and technical-know-how to be really good.

Machines’ aesthetics fascinate me more than their functions.

I think sometimes that I should try going for a whole day without using any machines. But just get up to wondering how I am going to make my porridge without a microwave, dry my hair without a hairdryer, make my coffee… Then I decide it’s bad idea. Yes, machines DO rule my life!

But sometimes I like to return to nature and be quiet and reflective and still. No machines. Just the sounds of nature. But only for a while. Then I need my cup of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment