Monday, October 11, 2010

365 Days, Day 126

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine (Stephen Phillips (1845-1915) Ulysses, III. ii)

How much better is thy love than wine! (The Song of Solomon, 4:10) [no regrets]

When I find someone I respect writing about an edgy, nervous wine that dithered in the glass, I cringe. When I hear someone I don't respect talking about an austere, unforgiving wine, I turn a bit austere and unforgiving myself. When I come across stuff like that and remember about the figs and bananas, I want to snigger uneasily. You can call a wine red, and dry, and strong, and pleasant. After that, watch out... (Kingsley Amis Everyday Drinking)

Wine is rather fine. But I don’t like it.

If I have to select a bottle for social occasions, I make my choice by the label. The label has to catch my attention. Quite a few winemakers are making use of humour in their labels – which I love. The Tall horse range of wines with their giraffe labels are fun. The name Fat Bastards also catches my attention. I have no idea what the tastes like of should taste like. Sometimes the bottle shape or colour will also attract me: I had quite a few blue wine bottles at one stage (I made them into a hanging artwork for my garden. They hung from a beam outside our Estelle Street bedroom. But we thought they might fall and break and we’d have broken glass everywhere. So I took them down. I loved the light shining through them).

Mom and Dad have been enthusiastic wine tasters for years. I have tried to like wine, but I am afraid I can’t even “want to like it”! AriĆ©l had to attend a wine tasting course when she was waitressing at a fancy restaurant in Truro. She doesn’t seem to like wine much either though. Even so she did gain an awareness of how food affects the taste of wine and why some wines tastes ‘better’ with some foods than others.

Nicki learned somewhere on her travels that when you say cheers with your glass of wine (or other beverage) you MUST look the other person in the eye as you clink glasses: otherwise you will have seven years of bad sex. [Swavka says: Seven years of any sex, good or bad, would be better than no sex. So she doesn’t look in you the eye].

Karen texted me at the weekend saying she was sitting outside on her [beautiful] patio reading the Sunday papers and drinking a glass of chilled wine. Hmmm sounds wonderful. Although… I would rather have a chilled glass of Ginger Ale with lemon and ice. Or a milkshake.

Having said that, I do enjoy, in Winter, a glass of home-made Gluhwein…

Cheers! *{looking you in the eye}*

No comments:

Post a Comment