Friday, October 15, 2010

365 Days, Day 130

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures (Henry Ward Beecher)

Even if all these needs are satisfied, we may still often, if not always, expect that a new discontent and restlessness will soon develop, unless the individual is doing what he is fitted for. A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself (Abraham Maslow)

A writer should write with his eyes and a painter [should] paint with his ears (Gertrude Stein)

I have felt at-one with myself while painting. It is often difficult to get started, but once I am underway on a project, the time just flies. I need so much more practice. Having finished this series (Games Women Play with [men]), I am wondering what is next. I will revisit my work journals and see what grabs me. It is quite exciting for me – like dipping into a forgotten box of letters…

I had this idea once, to have a photo session with the women in my life, in soft light and drapes, and then to paint them. But I have not yet done that.

Something whimsical I have always wanted to paint is the illustrations for I know an Old Lady. I know all the words to this nonsense rhyme. This could be a sideline.

I have two easels on the way! At the moment they are at sea, in our container aboard the MSC Marina. One of the easels was made for me by my late father-in-law; the other one was made by my dad and I sort of nicked it off him! Not really, he did offer it to me when he was in hospital and had loads of time to think of things.

So, if the paint is dry, I shall be packing up my paintings tomorrow and taking them to the art gallery. Wish me luck on my brave little adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment