Sunday, October 17, 2010

365 Days, Day 132


It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new (Tony Visconti)

Everything I buy is vintage and smells funny. Maybe that's why I don't have a boyfriend (Lucy Liu)

Vintage was originally used to refer to a season’s yield of wine. These days is used more colloquially to refer to things old, old-fashioned, from another era. Vintage clothing is big here in the UK; there are loads of shops which sell vintage clothing. Sometimes it is really clothing from a bygone era, often clothes are made in the style of clothes from a previous era and are labelled as “retro”. I think if one is patient and shops in the right area, one can find some real vintage bargains.

I had to smile when we were in South Africa, there is a road of “antique” shops on the way to the hospital where my dad was. One of the shops boasted the slogan: Modern Antiques.

I really love going in to London: today we went on an outing to Greenwich Market. There is a second-hand market near the station where there are some lovely vintage pieces, and there are also some sad second-hand pieces. And there are some interesting pieces that catch one’s eye. There was such a table, where I could have spent loads; the items were really expensive though. I bought a Tibetan Travelling Shrine Box and a watch with convex lens – for some future artwork…

At the Greenwich market itself, all of the stalls have hand-made crafts; it was interesting to wander around and feel inspired. I bought a little stamp of the letter D, which I shall use of part of my signature on my paintings.

We took the Docklands Light Rail to Bank station. The journey was lovely – we got to see views that we usually miss on the underground. We took a tube to London Bridge and wandered along the Thames River and had some lunch overlooking the river.

Then the two vintage people returned home safe and sound, feeling relaxed and happy – to a wild Lily who needed walk…

No comments:

Post a Comment